View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi Corky and Curious.

Yes, RLS and PLMS can be secondary to Diabetes (and some other conditions). Some medications can affect it as well. Here's another site that is about limb movements in sleep.
PLMS and RLS from Sleep Disorders Guide

I am both unfortunately - a restless kicker, although the RLS is the worst for me 'cause it happens when I'm awake.
Just as well I'm single and I sleep alone. (well, apart from my kitty and she knows not to sleep at the foot of my bed!)

Here are descriptions of both PLMS and RLS from WeMove
Quote:
Periodic limb movements in sleep (PLMS): Repeated stereotypic movements of the limbs (usually the legs) that occur during sleep. These movements typically consist of upward extension of the great toe and foot as well as flexion of the ankle, knee, or hip; they occur every 15 to 40 seconds and 0.5 to 6.0 seconds, usually during NREM sleep and have a duration of 0.5 to 6.0 seconds.
Quote:
Restless legs syndrome (RLS): A neurologic movement disorder characterized by unusual, uncomfortable sensations (paresthesias/dysesthesias) deep within the calves and/or thighs, resulting in an irresistible urge to move the legs, and motor restlessness in response to or in an effort to alleviate discomfort. In some patients, the arms may also be affected. Symptoms become obvious or worse during periods of relaxation or inactivity; occur most frequently during the evening or the early part of the night; and may be temporarily relieved by voluntary movements of the affected area. Most patients experience associated sleep disturbances, including difficulties drifting off to and remaining asleep. RLS is also often associated with periodic limb movements of sleep (PLMS) or repeated, stereotypic, upward extension of the great toe and foot, potentially followed by flexion of the knee, hip, or ankle. Episodes of PLMS typically occur during periods of lighter (i.e., non-REM) sleep.
p.s. This is just my opinion... I have found it is best to see a Neurologist if you're needing diagnosis or treatment for these types of conditions.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote