Thread: Bladder spasms
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The male gender

is subject to this "inconvenience" also. As with UTIs, other conditions can complicate nailing down its origin, e.g., prostatectomy for prostate cancer. Prior to my operation in '98, I don't remember significant problems with bladder urgency or leaking.

One of the drawbacks of the current prostate resection procedure is that one of the bladder sphincter muscles is lost in the process of removing the seminal vesicles and rebuilding the lower end of the bladder for re-attachment to the urethra. In addition to possible ED issues, a significant fraction of patients have some degree of incontinence post-surgically.

Although I was not Dxd with PD until '01, I think I first experienced minor leaking and bladder urgency several months after the prostate surgery. It did not occur immediately after the foley catheter was removedat three weeks post-op, since I had full control at that point. My current situation with urgency and slight leaking may have had its origin as a result of progressing autonomic system degeneration as part of the pre-Dx PD effects. Anyway, that's the way I have processed it. That goes along with my 8-10 year struggle with depression before PD Dx.

Several months ago my urologist encouraged me to try one of the medications to soothe the bladder urgency, but I declined because of the dry mouth effect. If there is a patch approach now which avoids that problem, I think I might try it. Thanks, Jean! Wearing panty liners is not very masculine!
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote