View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How long

I am in my fourth month with this mild TBI

Cassical- I too have the issue with words which can be like a pesky fly at times when I am trying to write. I also spent a lot of the first month thinking I would wake up and feel everything was back to normal. My second month I began to feel really helpless as I couldn't go out and do "normal" things without getting sick, cutting them short, or showing up at all. For me, even though I have only been released to work part time it does help me keep my eyes on the bigger picture that someday these problems I face now will either be "cured" or I will find a way to adapt my life around them instead of letting them adapt my life.

I have BPPV too or that is what they tell me. I have recently done the canilith maneuvers and am hoping it will cure my new seasickness that I have most of the time. It is extremely frustrating at times not to be able to go to the grocery store, or get "stuck" somewhere from the vertigo so I now carry a cane to help stabilize myself and plan a lot of extra time when I go anywhere that has open spaces which seem to affect my vertigo the most. I have felt lucky that people overall are very helpful at assisting me out of those places I have gotten trapped in. I also found that walking near walls helps. Often times I am able to get in somewhere and seem to expereince a lot of confusion leaving, so after talking with a friend who had similar problems, I took his suggestion to take a different path back out so that my brain doesn't have to process the same space again. Of course, this is not possible in all locations but I take advantage of it when the opportunity arises.

I am also from a smaller community and felt quite isolated as my family is not super close and my boyfriend dumped me when I was no longer "fun" anymore. If you have the chance at all, you might want to consider asking around your community of people who have had head injuries before. I have been lucky to connect with a couple of people in my community, and beyond their knowledge of how you are feeling, you might be able to get out and about without feeling out of place. I often get nauseous, have to stop driving or quit the activity and it's a very good feeling to know that the other person was once in that boat too!

Hope this helps, and I hope you don't give up on this journey!
concussiongirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote