View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cream of Rice

We made this today. It's kind of like a nice replacement for oatmeal. (Read down to the bottom to see my notes as I experiment with it.)

Today I used sweet rice but have used brown rice in the past.

I don't have a grain grinder but do have a coffee grinder and so used it to get the final texture that I wanted.

SWEET RICE

2 cups rice (put through largest grind on coffee grinder)
4 cups water
1/4 t salt

fruit (if desired)
syrup if desired
honey if desired

My rice cooker kept popping over to warm, so I just keep pressing the 'cook' button until it is the consistency I want (like oatmeal).

I was pm'd with a request to add in a pot-cooking method... so here's my best guess:

This morning I grabbed some stewed peaches out of my freezer and threw them in the rice cooker at the same time.

We topped it with some maple syrup today... but usually we'd use honey because it's a simple sugar.

I've also stewed down strawberries with a bit of honey in, to make a runny kind of strawberry sauce/jam that would be lovely, drizzled over top.

The kids are eating the leftovers for snack now. We all really like it because I don't make it at all during the warmer months of the year.
BASMATI RICE

I used this today. It was good. I used the pot method and found cleanup was much easier this way than the rice cooker.

Mix in pot, on med/high for approx. 10-12 minutes.

1 cup ground rice
3 cups liquid (1 of them was coconut milk mixed to the consistency of animal dairy)
1/4 t sea salt (I like rice dishes that are salty and may even add more than this.)

We just put maple syrup on it this morning.

BROWN RICE (gives me a migraine)

I made this yesterday: Oct 2, 2006

1 cup ground rice (largest grind on the coffee grinder again)
3 cups water
1/2 t sea salt

Throw it all in a pot and stir continually until it thickens and spits at you. (med./high approx. 10 min.)

I got a horrible food reaction migraine from eating this. (I could feel my back starting to tighten up about 20 minutes after eating it... and by 6 pm was down for the count. I think we'll stick to the 'white rices' from now on... this has happened to me too many times. I thought I was just eating too much grain on the days that we had this... but honestly, I ate a lot more of the sweet rice and basmati, without ending up in my 'migraine position'.)
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 10-03-2006 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Adding in the possible pot-cooking method.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote