View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladyinca View Post
I believe that it is highly reckless and irresponsible to promote incorrect information Re: Tysabri, as the correct recommendation for Tysabri by the FDA is: "it is generally recommended for patients who have had an inadequate response to, or cannot tolerate, any of the other disease-modifying therapies". http://www.nationalmssociety.org/sit...ds_natalizumab
Lauren, according to your own attached link:

"Because Tysabri increases the risk of PML, it is generally recommended for patients who have had an inadequate response to, or cannot tolerate, any of the other disease-modifying therapies that are available for treating MS (see Precautions)."

Which is what I said, in effect, but just my own words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Hi Bethany,
At this point in time, Tysabri is recommended for people who have failed at other proven and SAFER therapies.
Recommended = generally prescribed
Failed = inadequate response (or cannot tolerate)
SAFER = "because Tysabri increases the risk of PML"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Our Neuro's have biases, that are NOT necessarily based on anything concrete. All of the CRABs have equal efficacy, and if one doesn't work, it doesn't mean another won't. What about Copaxone or Betaseron, which are different drugs then Rebif? . . . There are still a few other mainstream options available to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msladyinca View Post
Again, this is incorrect as Tysabri and the ABCRs differ substantially in efficacy. See the proven data: "The relapse reduction rates used were: TYSABRI was 67%, Avonex (Interferon beta-1a IM) 32%, Betaseron(R) (Interferon beta-1b) 34%, Copaxone(R) (glatiramer acetate) 29%, and Rebif(R) (Interferon beta-1a SC) 32%."
So, according to your own data on the CRABs (which includes only the effect on relapse rates, not disease progression, BTW):

Avonex = 32%
Betaseron = 34%
Copaxone = 29%
Rebif = 32%

Based on that data, I still say that they have virtually equal efficacy, and the only notable difference is whether one of these 4 different drugs might work better for an idividual.

Bethany, I would still recommend you ask your Neuro "on what basis" he is recommending a switch to a (currently) much riskier drug, instead of trying you on one of the other existing drug options.

Cherie