View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Thank you Bob:

Tweaked it a bit. How's this??

"he's been thru debriding & it hasn't been sufficiently helpful.
Bone shaving has been recommended.

Is this feasible, in your opinion? And will you do it??

Thank you"

I think that's good. As a matter of fact, I copied, pasted and printed it out.

I have to memorize this.

Very good Bob.

Uh OH, Update. Alan just walked in the door from his podiatrist appointment (he goes every week to have it debrided).
The doctor gave him a letter to bring to the new foot guy.
Here's what it says:

"This patient has been treated for an ulcer submet 1 (R) since 4/06. He began an agressive work out regimin of cardiovascular fitness when lesion suddenly developed. Ulcer has healed from time to time, however it would eventually return as the tissue plantarly would continue to break down again perhaps due to boney prominance of plantar head of 1st metatarsal and/or sesamoid.

Ulcer was treated with weekly aggressive debridement, including betadine wet to dry dressing, Amerigel etc...

Recently a healing shoe was utilized but this also was unsuccessful.

We then suggested that Mr. Lubart try a wound healing center as another option. Please evaluate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

His doctor also gave him his x-ray to bring to the new guy.
Also, Alan asked him "why would you not operate and remove the bone?" and the doctor replied "because there is too much of a risk to your big toe and it will throw off your balance, so we can't take the risk". Alan did not ask him "why can't you just shave the bone". I have no idea why Alan did not get a better explanation of why they can't shave his bone. Oh, The doctor did tell Alan, "one of the things the new guy might do is put you in a foot cast for two weeks. You'll be on crutches, but your ulcer will definitely heal.....but I'm afraid that once you start walking again, the ulcer will re-cur".

So off we shall go on Tuesday.
This shaving of the bone thing has me baffled. I know insurance companies don't pay a lot to these podiatrists, but if it was an option, shouldn't it have been thought of 18 months ago?? Or am I nuts??

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 08-02-2007 at 05:56 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote