View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default respect

I thought that this thread was complete but I'd like to add a few comments of my own. Over the short time I've been part of this community, I've held my comments when I have felt others disrespectfully judge me or anyone else in this very helpful community. I would like to regain a sense of respect by and for each one of us in our ability to choose our own best course of action.

Personally I think it's a waste of time to focus attention on any generalized assumtion of "they" or "them". Why don't we agree to speak only for ouselves and not focus on or speak for any generalized multitude or even individuals who don't take what others believe would be the best course to manage their TOS and other health issues.

I think learning as much as I can about my mind and body and how I behave and how I can make alterions to my behaviors e.g. posture, ergonomics, attitude... in order to better my health issues is very valuable. But I believe that scientific information, like the understanding of my anatomy, is only one piece of the puzzle. For example, one of the best lessons I ever learned came from my Feldenkreis teacher, with whom I received both lessons and 1:1 Feldenkreis and osteoppathic treatments. After eons of seeing me get into trouble from too much effort and my desire to overcome my own condition, he finally stopped me in my tracks and told me that I could NEVER AGAIN afford to NOT pay attention to my body. No matter how much or how little I understood the names, locations and function of my own body parts, learning that lesson has been more helpful and has stayed with me longer than anything else. And I do have a keen interest in facts. I have previously studied anatomy and I spent years studying the human form from the perspective of the arts. I have spent time looking at the Body Worlds exhibit and have even consulted with MDs at the exhibit(www.bodyworlds.com) but nothing has helped me more than paying attention to my own body. For me this is necessary if I am to live in the world with my TOS and other unique body issues.

Regarding the use of meds, surgery and other fixes, be they quick or require lengthy attention and education, I look at the situation again from my own perspective and experience. Yes, I do generally believe in meds and surgery as a later course of treatment. But I have learned to take an experimental approach for myself. I find that I need to create a RECIPE that works for me, for right now in my life. For example, if I were to try only accpuncture and if it doesn't work, it may work better when I COMBINE it with something else like heat or ice or TENS. And the recipe that works for me today needs to evolve to accomodate my changing body. What worked or didn't work in the past, like certain kind of PT, may or may not work as part of my recipe today or next year. For example, for previous cervical neck pain, I had more than one PT request that I take anti-inflamatories prior to PT and that as a result of experimention I learned that this was a good combination.

I try to evaluate my specific unique body issues at the present time and I use an experimental approach to determine the right recipe that works for me for now, knowing that this is a changing and evolving recipe. I take responsibility for my body and for finding the right recipe for me, for now.

Knowing that my body and my case is unique and complex, I work to be informed by medical practitioners, by facts and input learned from this group, my own education, my attention to my body and my intuition. I take an experimental approch to manage my body issues in attempt to resolve and heal pains and discomfort. And I remain open to the possibility that I could even be cured and pain-free.

That said, I believe that we are each the best manager of our own unique cases and that none of us have the knowledge or the right to judge others.

Last edited by fern; 08-02-2007 at 07:38 PM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote