View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good post, Fern. You made some very good points. You're right- we're all different which means different things will work for us and I don't think that anybody should be telling someone else what they NEED to do. I remember once on obt that someone told me that if I didn't listen to her and do what she suggested that I deserved whatever happened to me. Well, I already have a mother and don't need another one. I'm lucky that I'm not as bad off as many here, so I'm able to do more. But, while my TOS symptoms aren't as bad as others are, I have severe pain from cervical dystonia. But I've learned what I have to do in order to be able to deal with it and function. It doesn't always completely help but for now, it's the best I can do. At this point, I don't need TOS surgery and hope I never do and would think long and hard before I did it. But, I can also say that when someone is in terrible pain, they'll do almost anything. I've been to too many drs. to count as far as the neck pain and surgery won't help there but I guarantee you that on those days that I'm in such bad pain from it, if they told me that they could do surgery and that they guaranteed it would stop the pain, I would pack my bags and be waiting on the hosp. steps that same day. I've also dealt with alot of comments about the 4 surgeries I've had on my foot- like "why are you doing this?",or "It probably won't help," or even "you're crazy to do this again," etc. Well, what am I supposed to do if I can hardly walk and can't wear shoes because it hurts too bad?! They won't let me in a grocery store or restaurant without shoes on....So, you always hope that this time might be the time that'll put a stop to the pain. I had to learn anatomy too and that does help considerably when you have a problem like this and I'm sure it's helped the nurses on here too- doesn't make us suffer any less or give us any help in putting a stop to this though. Also, the meds we're on might help us but not help anybody else. It's just trial and error sometimes. Same thing with PT- helps some of us but nearly killed me. We all just do the best we can. And all I ask is that people remember that we can't all be an authority on everything and that sometimes other people might have something to contribute that sounds pretty simple but might really help alot of others.
redjpwranglergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote