View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If it was a terrorist attack, then terrorists would be taking credit for it. If somebody wants to spread terror, it does them no good if everybody thinks it is due to aging infrastructure.

The scary thing to me is that we are just as vulnerable to our aging infrastructure as we are to terrorists, which is a horrible indictment on the priorities of our nation as a whole. It costs money, lots of money, to keep things maintained. And that means taxes or tolls. Somebody has to pay, it should be the users (all of us). I don't want to start a debate about whether the better steward of our roads would be public or private. Regardless of how the job gets done, it's expensive - and essential.

I, like Howard, was stunned - this does not happen in the USA. But it did, does (see Carolyn's list), and will again. The Seattle City Council has been arguing with the State of Washington for 6 years about how to replace a heavily trafficked (110,000 cars a day), elevated, double-decker highway through the heart of the city that was visibly damaged in the 2001 earthquake. It's an accident waiting to happen while the powers that be quibble over money.

There's no doubt that terrorism poses a threat; but the US faces other threats as well - and one is our aging interstate roadway system. Homeland security begins at home.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote