View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Preventive Cardiology

Ron et al,

What would you say to a person like me whose blood pressure is 100/60 about taking high does of calcium channel blockers. Is there a risk of hypo-tension?

Along the same vein, I have been a research participant in studies done at NIH by Dr. David Goldstein which were the first to demonstrate effects of PD outside the brain and striatum. He did PET scans of the heart and discovered that Orthod-static hypotention is highly correlated with 'denervation' of the heart muscle, and those with the most denervation (black PET scan) suffered the greatest problems (dizziness when standing up). My PET scan was perfect in 4 tests over 5 years (no hypotention), so contrary to some beliefs, I do have a heart, but I gave my brain to science.

More preventive cardiology is the finding reported in the newspapers this week (Washington Post) that zocor, a statin drug used to treat high cholesterol, seems to prevent progression in Alzheimers and PD, but other statins (lipidor, mevacor, etc) do not have this effect. My primary doctor is swithching me to zocor from mevacor (both are available as generics), saying that it shouldn't do any harm.

The human body is very complex.

Perry
Perryc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote