View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Daniella:
As far as Wound Treatment Centers, this has nothing to do with the Insurance. The wound treatment centers bill as a clinic, and Empire Blue Cross Mediblue says all clinic co-pays are $50, no matter how often you need to go. Spoke to two different people at two different times, and got the same explanation. The insurance guy said "it's not us, it's how they bill, and they bill as a clinic visit".

I called all of them, and they all bill as a clinic visit. This is a different thing than if Alan needed a procedure, and they wouldn't approve of it. Totally different matter. So I made sure, I called Methodist, I spoke to the Billing Department, I spoke to the person in the Podiatry Department.

Alan's co-pay for any visit to a podiatrist is $15.00. So this tuesday, when he goes, he'll $15.00. And whatever the doctor recommends for him to receive, if it's done in the podiatrist's office, Alan will pay $15.00, however, if he needs a bone shaving, or any procedure done in the hospital part, Alan is covered 100 percent.

I did my homework on this one. You have to, when you are dealing with stuff, just out of the ordinary, like wound treatments, IVIG, whatever.

I just hope they can do SOMETHING. He's not diabetic and he's had this foot ulcer, healing and not healing for 18 months. We know why he has it (bone inpingement). Now whether or not this podiatrist throws up his hands and goes "oh no, we can't risk an operation, well, I don't even want to look at Alan's face if that happens".

He needs to go back to the gym and exercise. His PN didn't bother him when he was able to go to the gym and use their machines. He has to wait until this ulcer heals (if indeed it is able to heal). The only time he had any energy was when he went to the gym 3 times a week. He was a different man then. He hasn't gained any weight but he had more energy when he exercised. I tell him to sit in the chair and lift weights (we have dumbells), but he's very stubborn, (possible OCD issues here). He says "no, I have to do this at the gym".

Oh well.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 08-03-2007 at 12:28 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote