View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 02:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Look At Labs carefully

Hi Anne,

I live in MI, and we get less sun than you do. I am currently taking a bio emulsion Vit D, 2000 IU per gtt. I am delighted that your Vit D level is up where it is almost normal. Sorry to hear about your hsCRP. Do you take fish oil?
Supposed to be good for inflammation according to Dr. Barry Sears. I certainly appreciate your concern in view of your past cardiac history. See his comments in answer to a question, below.

"Do I need statins?

Q. My HDL = 60, LDL = 246, TOT = 321, TGL = 75, CRP = .1, insulin = 2. My doctor wants me to take Lovastatin to reduce the LDL. Do you think this is necessary? I'm a 55-year-old male who exercises regularly and eats Zone-like meals. I do not currently take fish oil capsules.

A. Your low TG/HDL ratio indicates that most of your LDL particles are large, non- atherogenic particles. Also your CRP is very low. The primary benefit of statins is reducing CRP, which simply can't go much further down. I would suggest taking fish oil to further reduce upstream inflammation. A recent meta-analysis has shown that fish oil is equal, if not superior, to statins in reducing both all-cause and cardiac mortality. "

I am going to write to Dr. Fine and see whether he has any suggestions. The good news on latest lab work was that my albumin level is > 4, and TP is 6.9 - these are best results since 1997 so I am happy about that, and hopefully means that my GI tract is healing.

Marilyn
canoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote