View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN4Veterans View Post
Med Help, I can relate to your wife's depression and feelings of 'weird', because the symptoms are overall weird in themselves! They can come and go....hit with such intensity in an extremity then feel like it is going to spread to other extremities, then resolve. Like I said...weird, then hey...the doctor looks at you like "wow....she's a nut case" and I'm not one to take that from anyone...much less a doctor, thank you )

Rose, you don't know how much hope you have given me with your explanation with: temporary increases in symptoms (even new symptoms) as the body works on that particular area and Individuals are different, but I also had a lot of problems with my shoulders and arms. They took turns being the worst for a very long time, and one became frozen. They say a frozen shoulder doesn't recover if not within the first year, but mine took more than two. As with many of my areas of damage, it took years but finally resolved (or nearly so).....
I have put my Left arm pain down to incorrect treatment of the Vitamin B12 Deficiency, thinking that I should be getting more of the supplement. Why else would I be developing more and more problems? I hadn't run across any literature or research on this anywhere and was scared to death that I was going to end crippled. That is why I started myself on the SL supplements twice a day. How long did it take for your arms to recooperate?
Hi RN,

I know you weren't writing to me, but your posts struck me because I've recently had so much trouble with my left arm.

I had meant to write to you last night, but I got confused. (Sadly I get confused way too often.)

Because I didn't have electricity for a while I got out of the habit of writing notes... so I can't be sure when the particular pain in my left arm began. It was also so numb that it was dead weight.

Oh... I remember now, it was a minimal court thing... but so irritating. (I hired a man to build my deck... and after 18 hours for which I was paying him $25 an hour, he had put down 7 boards... and then he took me to court. The court decided that I hadn't given him enough time. )

It was extremely scary to have my left arm hurt so much and then be so numb that I had to use my right hand to lift it.

Everything I found on the internet was pretty worrying.

Plus, my chin kept cramping...

So I thought that since my grandfather died of a heart attack, that I might be having the women's equivalent.

I took extra B12 shots. For me that's two a day. And I stayed in bed. I could barely move, so staying in bed was not a choice so much as a condition.

I see that you have a shot every two weeks, and then two 5mg a day.

I get so confused by maths... it's very irritating. Still, let me attempt to think about this... if 1,000 mcg is about equal to a shot a month, then 5mg is equal to about 5 shots a month (if taken every day), so 10 mg would be like a shot every three days.

So, you're having about a third to a sixth as much as I am having... and you find that your symptoms are increasing.

(Plus, you are working.)

(But then I have all the stress from the legal things that are going on - I had my condo foreclosed and sold without notice to me of the judgment... major stressful as I'd paid on it for 17 years and it was my savings for my old age.)

To me, if you feel as if you need more B12, I am pretty certain you are right.

When I was first diagnosed, and I went above 180 for my B12 level, I had to beg to get a B12 shot because the doctors were all in agreement at the clinic where I went that my B12 was normal and I no longer needed shots, especially since I wasn't a vegitarian.

Oops, getting upset.

So I know what it's like to feel the difference that it makes, and then be denied injections.

My feeling is that I would be much healthier today if I had been given adequate treatment... and I don't mean enough B12 to bring my level up above 200.

As it was the treatment I received brought back some feeling to my feet, but not enough so that I could feel the broken bit of darning needle in my toe... which is how I got tetanus.

To me, the need for significant amounts of B12 exists in some people. I am one of them.

I am just so lucky that one of the doctors I went to, a holistic M.D., gave me a prescription for a shot a day for a year.

That changed everything for me, once I saw (felt) what it did.

Thank you for your post.

I'd sure like to hear some more about your left arm... mine's much better except when there are legal deadlines...