View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Karen,

Cyanocobalamin is unusable as it is. It must be converted by the body to a smaller amount of methylcobalamin to be used.

There may be some very rare people who benefit from cyanocobalamin shots as much or more than methylcobalamin orally. Most people can convert cyanocobalamin to a smaller amount of methylcobalamin, so it's great that you are getting what you need and are happy with the treatment.

However, many people make the mistake of believing that because their body does not show the same response days, weeks, months later that it did with initial treatment that the current treatment isn't working. This is not a reasonable assumption with B12 for at least two reasons: 1) B12 is stored, all but a very few will continue to work on repairs using stored B12 for quite a long while, assuming they have gotten enough initially to build stores up quite a bit. 2) When the body works on repairs, the next weeks, months, etc., are not the same as the initial ones.

As I have told many people here, there is often a honeymoon period during which things seem to improve very rapidly (this can happen for at least two reasons). After that, if damage was slight, things may be rosy. But, if damage was severe, after the honeymoon the body gets to work on the hard stuff. And that is often when symptoms become worse as the condition of the body is being improved.

I am very glad you are getting what you need. But your individual make-up/circumstances/etc., are not applicable to others.

rose

Quote:
Hi Rose,

No they are not the same.

I've never been able to take enought Methylcobalamin for it to work equally well for me.

I think if I just had less stress, or were better able to handle stress, that they would probably be fine.

I remember Fred talking about how much Methyl he took. I can't remember how he spelled it.

He was so kind and sent me some. I was soooo happy not to have to do shots, just major delighted.

But after a month or so it was clear that I wasn't having enough B12.

When my eyesight becomes blurry, I start having peripheral neuropathy again, my hands go numb, I feel depressed... then I know I'm not having enough B12.

So I went back to shots.

I suspect that at that time, that was several years ago, I didn't realize how many lozenges I'd have to have to equal a B12 shot.

Recently I tried having a lot more lozenges, but then I had teeth issues...

so the shots are by far the best for me.

I feel certain that if I had not attempted suicide and been given a test for B12 while I was in hospital, which showed my "profound deficiency", that I would be very sick today with little hope of recovery.

I know I've been very sick... but tetanus is different than if I had the kind of disease that is commonly thought to be one you cannot recover from.

I remain very impressed and hopeful because of accounts like Matty's.

Which reminds me, I need to do a post to RN.

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote