View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
Karen,

Cyanocobalamin is unusable as it is. It must be converted by the body to a smaller amount of methylcobalamin to be used.

There may be some very rare people who benefit from cyanocobalamin shots as much or more than methylcobalamin orally. Most people can convert cyanocobalamin to a smaller amount of methylcobalamin, so it's great that you are getting what you need and are happy with the treatment.

However, many people make the mistake of believing that because their body does not show the same response days, weeks, months later that it did with initial treatment that the current treatment isn't working. This is not a reasonable assumption with B12 for at least two reasons: 1) B12 is stored, all but a very few will continue to work on repairs using stored B12 for quite a long while, assuming they have gotten enough initially to build stores up quite a bit. 2) When the body works on repairs, the next weeks, months, etc., are not the same as the initial ones.

As I have told many people here, there is often a honeymoon period during which things seem to improve very rapidly (this can happen for at least two reasons). After that, if damage was slight, things may be rosy. But, if damage was severe, after the honeymoon the body gets to work on the hard stuff. And that is often when symptoms become worse as the condition of the body is being improved.

I am very glad you are getting what you need. But your individual make-up/circumstances/etc., are not applicable to others.

rose
Hi Rose, yes, I know about cyanocobalamin needing to be turned into the Methyl form in order for our bodies to use it.

But I'm sure I've read posts of yours where you assure that the cyanocobalamin is fine and replaces as well as anything. Those posts of yours are ones I don't understand. (Not to bother explaining, since I've told you why I use the shots, merely cost, given how much replacement I need.)

The most important thing for people to recognize and implement in their health lives is learning about themselves so that they know what works for them.

Taking notes as they take B12 so that they can see what it does for them is essential to understanding how much THEY need.

You may very well need a lot less than me. I don't know if your mother had pernicious anemia.

I'm glad you were able to get treatment.

I've never understood how you got worse, though, after treatment began.

That's sure not something I experienced.

And when my symptoms got worse and I told the doctors (that was when I was living in the hydrogen sulfide that I didn't know about) they said -- both my neurologist and my general practioner -- that once B12 is being treated the symptoms can't get worse.

What I know for a fact is that the toxin hydrogen sulfide caused symptoms that were identical to those caused by low B12...

and after a LOT of supplementation, those symptoms are reducing.

I also know that stress can reduce B12. I know that from the large number of regular tests that I had over a long period of time, and the notes I kept.

It's a lovely day here and my morning glories are so smile making.
I better go do some things, and use the morning glories to stave off the stress.