View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What I have said is that most people can convert cyanocobalamin to the smaller amount of methylcobalamin to store and use, and that lives have been saved for decades since cyanocobalamin was synthesized.

Not everyone can convert well, and people who do not transport well (usually older people) can do better with larger amounts of usable B12 (methylcobalamin).

Also, methylcobalamin is the form that in very large doses has proven therapeutic in some with MS, ALS, etc.

If one has only cyanocobalamin available, adequate doses of it will almost always refill stores, and usually (but not always) allow at least some improvement. So I have continued to make the point that people should not forego B12 treatment because some have led them to believe that cyanocobalamin is useless. It is not.

Hydroxocobalamin is better than cyanocobalamin, and methylcobalamin does things no other form can do.

Taking notes is great, as I have also recommended for years. However, the notes need to be taken for a long time, as when serious repairs are being made, it is a long and frequently weird process. Noting what happens in the first weeks, and expecting that to continue in a linear fashion is frequently misleading.

In fact, some people have thought that B12 was no longer helping, and so stopped it, only to find months to a couple of years later that their bodies had been continuing to repair on the stores they had build up and the damage was again worsening as stores had been allowed to deplete. This is one example of how dangerous going on the short-term obvious results can be.

I also malabsorb severely. But what I do is not important. What is important is that researchers found over 30 years ago that people who malabsorb severely (have true pernicious anemia---absence of intrinsic factor) can rebuild stores on 1000 mcg B12 orally per day.

If you had read the extensive history I have written (most of it lost in the old braintalk board crash), you would know that I have improved massively, but that I was damaged severely (nearly died) so it has not been a quick or easy ride.

Your neurologist and general practition are wrong if they stated that symptoms cannot get worse after beginning B12 treatment when it is needed. When the nervous system repairs, nerves grow back in ways that are not the same as before, and the central nervous system has to learn how to intrerpret the different signals. Even if you scrape your knee, as the scab forms and time progresses there will be different symptoms--- itching is common, for one. The symptoms one experiences during repairs are not necessarily the same as before, although sometimes they are a temporary exacerbation of previous symptoms, and even those can seem like new symptoms if they were too subtle before to notice.

I write all of this for the benefit of others who will read it.

rose

Karen wrote:

Quote:
Hi Rose, yes, I know about cyanocobalamin needing to be turned into the Methyl form in order for our bodies to use it.

But I'm sure I've read posts of yours where you assure that the cyanocobalamin is fine and replaces as well as anything. Those posts of yours are ones I don't understand. (Not to bother explaining, since I've told you why I use the shots, merely cost, given how much replacement I need.)

The most important thing for people to recognize and implement in their health lives is learning about themselves so that they know what works for them.

Taking notes as they take B12 so that they can see what it does for them is essential to understanding how much THEY need.

You may very well need a lot less than me. I don't know if your mother had pernicious anemia.

I'm glad you were able to get treatment.

I've never understood how you got worse, though, after treatment began.

That's sure not something I experienced.

And when my symptoms got worse and I told the doctors (that was when I was living in the hydrogen sulfide that I didn't know about) they said -- both my neurologist and my general practioner -- that once B12 is being treated the symptoms can't get worse.

What I know for a fact is that the toxin hydrogen sulfide caused symptoms that were identical to those caused by low B12...

and after a LOT of supplementation, those symptoms are reducing.

I also know that stress can reduce B12. I know that from the large number of regular tests that I had over a long period of time, and the notes I kept.

It's a lovely day here and my morning glories are so smile making.
I better go do some things, and use the morning glories to stave off the stress.

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote