View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by med_help View Post
Hi,

One of my female relatives has been diagnosed with B-12 deficiency...after a long time of suffering ( blood report stated a level of 205) and low haemoglobin content(11.1).
Doctor has advised to take 1000mcg of B-12 and 400mcg of Folic Acid .
I have been studying a lot about B-12 deficiency and looks like her symptoms are because of that ( fatigue,sleeplessness, irritability, general weakness, long/heavy periods etc...)
For now she is taking 1000mcg of cyanocobalamin(timed release) and folic acid.One each daily .

My question is -
- Should she take methylcobalamin instead of cyano , will that be better ?
- Or can both cyano and methyl be taken at same time ( 500mcg of each ? )
- B-12 tablet label says it is timed release tablet , is that helpful in her case or no ? Roses's website says it does not .Any particular reason for that ?

Your help /inputs are much appreciated . This forum is extremely useful.Thanks.
Hi med,

When I first began B12 replacement I also began using melatonin to help me sleep. It belongs to the B vitamin group in some way that I'm not able to describe right now.

I found that when I ran out of the melatonin, that my periods became extremely heavy again. (They were such a problem to me for many years.)

Is she using a sublingual form? I expect so. If not... it may not be doing much good.

I would FOR SURE say that the methylcobalamin is better. It can actually regrow nerves.

Our bodies have to convert cyanocobalamin to methylcobalamin in order to use it, so it's better and a person gets more benefit by simply taking the methyl form to begin with.

For me, a B12 shot a month brought tremendous improvement to my memory... but for the really big results, like stopping the extremely painful peripheral neuropathy I had in my right thigh, I needed much much more B12.

For that reason, I suggest as my neurologist suggested to me, that people keep notes, to see what is happening with them.

I've had so much stress lately and am so exhausted from it that I haven't been on the board much recently.

You might also look at your relative's fingernails for an indication of how much B12 deficiency damage there is... very high ridges take a long time to go away... when mine began to go away, my peripheral neuropathy began to go away too.