View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Matty,

I wasn't sure I read correctly. I guess you were saying that the doc said Methylcobalamin is ready to use. Of course, it is, and the larger amount of immediately usable B12 is very important to a percentage of people.

B12 can be absorbed by people with severe malabsorption when swallowed, as long as a large enough dose is taken at one time. Even the least efficient form, cyanocobalamin, which is what the research was done on initially, and most of the research since then. Most doctors do not know this, even though it was discovered decades ago and has appeared in some of the better mainstream medical literature for years.

Sadly, I think most of our docs (and medical editors) are as badly behind as those in Britain. The horror stories have accumulated for the many years now I have been working on this issue. Glad to hear you are working on it over there!

I agree. I would certainly go for the hydroxo before the cyano.

Yes, we have also had dear friends here who were misdiagnosed with MS instead of treated for what was later found to be B12 deficiency. Inexcusable.

More of those differences in treatment necessary are due to the degree of malabsorption and the degree of deficiency. Most people who have severe malabsorption can do fine on one 1000 mcg oral dose per week if their stores were built up good to begin with and they store ok. Another option for those people is to take a whole lot to make sure B12 is full to overflowing and then stop for a while (in most people weeks or months are without risk). The problem with that is it is easy to forget about, become complacent, or if storage is not good a person can get into trouble more quickly.

Better to have "too much" than too little. And the best form possible---after all, why not.

Yes, there's hope. It won't be the first time good information took at least decades to get out.

rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote