View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,

Not different levels for different ages. Malabsorption is the issue I was referring to. Although people of any age can develop (or even be born with) B12 malabsorption, as people age their bodies tend to not absorb or metabolize things as well. And since B12 is especially tricky for the body to absorb and use (must do a lot of things right, and the molecule is large), even if a person has no symptoms it is a very good idea to at least take a multi-vitamin.

Actually, for even better insurance, I think it would be an excellent idea for people with no symptoms to take that multi-vitamin and an occasional 1000 mcg dose of B12. That would prevent any damage in many, many people.

And, of course, if a person has health problems, I would go with at least 1000 mcg. at a time.

Omega 3 fat is very important. In the usual diet of today Omega 3 is sadly lacking. I would get a very good brand of fish oil (can also get it with extra EPA and DHA, which help prevent more problems). Good fat is very important for nerve health.

A B complex is a good idea because some do not get enough of one or more of the other B vitamins in the diet, and rarely there is malabsorption. The B complex usually is insurance to make sure they are all there in good quantities.

Many thing can affect the health and appearance of nails. It is interesting to explore the sites I linked to in my previous post. It's been a while since I've read about nails and don't have any calcium info regarding nails on the tip of my tongue.

Good questions.

rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote