View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default IEP meeting - incredible.

Well, our IEP meeting today was ridiculous.

Carly did not get the proper summer program. They admitted that next year had to be different. But, yikes, what crap today.

I was dressed in lawyer clothes because I had to be in court afterwards. But, I should have had overalls and mud boots to shovel the crap that they were dishing out.

The summer sped teacher was trying to tell me they did academics with Carly. I told her what they were doing were speech related, but that she had goals on her IEP which were English Language Arts and Mathematics related which they did none of. They did not do the calendar with her or time telling or anything else she does during the school year. I actually had to repeat the law to her, that the services in the summer had to be substantially similar to what she received during the school year. Dead silence in the room. No admission, but no real denial.

The sped liason (who chairs the meeting) kept saying, "I understand what you wanted for Carly," and I would repeat, twice, " It's not what I want, it is what the law says Carly is entitled to."

Then, I asked for about the 4th time about the Step by Step switch. It broke, was sent home to me broken (last year) and never returned to me. They wanted me to sign a release saying I would be responsible for the equipment if it broke. I refused to sign such a release, because Carly is rough on things, that is just her nature. We will take appropriate care, but we cannot guarantee anything. Plus, just as proof, it broke at school!

So, today, I was told (mind you, after about a year of asking for this switch) that I didn't sign the release and they wouldn't give it to me. I reminded the sped director who was in the room, that she and I agreed that having me sign the release with the guarantee was not reasonable and we would get the switch. The OT starts apologizing to me. She says she didn't know etc. I told her it was bs anyway.

Maybe it was the business suit - but I was loaded for bare (sp?)

They seem to be willing to use the services of the behaviorist. She was observing today. I have to e-mail her to see how that went.