View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 01:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs3169 View Post
I have had the tingling and pins and needles since before the 1st of this year and joint aches for much longer than that. But then a burning on the bottom of my feet sent me to my PCP.

the pins and needles in my face and lips has been recent.. about two months.

I'm anxious to see the neurologist and have the EMG etc. performed so perhaps we can find a dx.. and then some rx??
First of all, welcome! Second, I don't want to discourage you but you need to be aware that "perhaps" and other words such as "maybe" is usually the operative words when trying to DX something like this. *If* you're lucky they'll find it immediately and know what it is and what's causing it. For most of us with Neuropathy(s) it's seldom that simple.

You'll find that many people on this board know more about their conditions than most doctors, including neurologists. The thing to remember is to keep pushing for a correct DX. And find a doctor or clinic that specializes in your precise condition. And I'm sure others will jump in here and give you many important tips and advice to help you become your own best health advocate.

There are a number of medication type treatments out there. All carry side effects of varying kinds and degrees and of course since we're all different we all react differently to these drugs. And in a case of Vit B-12 deficiency (this can cause PN symtoms all on its own), Neurontin (generic is gabapentin), can worsen the problem because it depletes B-12. That's partly what happened to me. Finding this board was the turning point for me.

My problems are strictly in my feet. Lucky me. It could be so very much worse than what I have. And my symptoms seem be getting better thanks to advice and support I've received on this board. The people here are fantastic, supportive and very knowledgeable. I found this board in the middle of the night several months ago when my pain, tingling, stabbing sensations along with RLS symptoms were at their worst. I was awake and miserable, crying, upset and terribly depressed over the situation. This place has been a life-saver for me. Truly.

Hang in there and keep us updated on what's going on, what the doctors are saying, etc.

Barbara