View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey dabbo,

I know what you mean about it being hard to teach yourself to use your other hand, but it will get easier the more you practice. I am right-handed and my right hand is affected, so I am having to learn to use my left hand. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in my right hand before being diagnosed with TOS. The TOS is my major problem-- the CTS is only minor. However, I find that if I wear a wrist splint, it relieves my symptoms somewhat. I wear it mainly when I am driving, cooking, housecleaning, etc. I also do a lot of typing my job, which only aggravates my symptoms. If my symptoms are severe, I noticed it helps to also wear it at night while I sleep.

You may want to consider investing in a voice recognition software program such as Dragon naturally speaking. This is what I use now at work, and it is wonderful. It's accuracy increases, the more you use it. If you purchase it in a store. It will cost $80-$100, or you can purchase it off the Internet for less.

Another option is to make sure your workspace is set up ergonomically. Invest in a wrist rest for your keyboard and mouse pad, make sure your chair is at the right height for your desk, and that your computer monitor is straight ahead at eye level. Take frequent breaks, no more than 20 minutes at a time at the computer.

Hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.

Shellie
shelliemac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote