View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default tolerance levels

Wow! I definitely have too much time on my hands.

Weird question but my husband said something to me the other day and it got this brain thinking ...

I told him that I see the neuro again this week and need to discuss putting me on Sinemet, something I've been trying to avoid. A lot of you have intimated, however, that it's pointless to compromise your quality of life and I've also heard from others who have regretted doing so.

I then went on to explain that some have been on Sinemet for 10 and 20 years with "minimal" side effects ... compared to others who have massive side effects. None of us really know why.

My husband said something to the affect of "it depends on your tolerance level".

Now, bare with me ...

There are many people in the world who pop pills at the drop of a hat (or headache). This includes medicine for sinus problems, headaches, constipation, diarrhea difficulties, yeast infections, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

Then there are others who try to avoid medication and have taken relatively small amounts their entire lives.

I fall into the first category!

My mom died when I was 15 and the one thing that I remember about her is that she (like I) had massive sinus problems. I've popped more antihistamines into my system than I care to admit.

Okay, so this is the big question ...

Do people who have taken a lot of medication have an easier time tolerating Sinemet?

Or, is the opposite true ... if they've popped pills their entire lives, do they actually need MORE Sinemet to be effective.

Okay, and what about those who have taken very little medication in their lives. Does is tend to go right to their bloodstream and upset their normal balance? Do they have more trouble tolerating Sinemet? Or is the opposite true ... the Sinemet helps in smaller doses because they need so very little to get into their system.

I've never seen this topic addressed, but it might make a great dissertation topic! (I get some of the royalties when they become rich and famous). I'd also feed it right back into the system to help find a cure!

Thoughts????

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote