View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Good eating habits, go for walks (if possible), then the weight (as long as you don't have thyroid problems), well the weight will start to come off.

The bad thing about diabetic meds are that they hinder weight loss. The only one that is not supposed to hinder is metformin. But it didn't do a thing for me, except keep me in the bathroom all morning long. Thankfully I stopped that.

I once asked the people at Cornell, "please explain to me, why diabetic meds, including insulin, make it hard to lose weight". They finally admitted that when you give yourself an insulin shot, it goes into the fat of your body and is stored there.

Also meds like Avandia, Actos, etc. make it harder to lose weight.

So when a person is overweight, and is type 2 diabetic and they give you stuff for your diabetes, then they tell you to lose weight, well, it's kind of like an oxymoron. You want to do it but the meds hinder you.

They told me at the ACCORD PROGRAM "melody, as you continue to lose weight, you will need less of the LANTUS, and therefore, you will lose weight more rapidly" I stuck to my low-carb, low fat diet, I walk every day, I am down to 30 units of the Lantus (down from 46) when I first started over 2 years ago. And the weight is coming off.

So the less diabetic meds you can take, the better for your weight loss.

This, however does not apply to skinny Type 1 diabetics.

Oh, and those glucerna and Choice drinks and meals??? I asked the people at Cornell if they are good for me, and they were clucking and clucking and finally they said "melody, to be honest, these drinks are for skinny Type 1 diabetics". "Oh, you can use it as a meal replacement, yes you can do that, but you can't use it as a snack". Then they went on to explain that people with Type 1 lose weight so that's why the glucerna stuff was invented.

Very hard to understand the different types of diabetes.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote