View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Our local hospital od'd my mother-in-law TWICE on dilaudid this past winter. The first time they gave it to her she had a horrible reaction and they had to give her another medication to counter act it. The second time they gave it to her she had indicated to the nurse she could not take it. They said they were giving it to her in a different form? didn't make sense but they did it anyway. Luckily my husband was there watching her. She code blued. swallowed her tongue and told me she actually went down "the tunnel". Luckily he saw and called a nurse. Took a few doc's and nurses to get her back. They then put her in intensive care. I told them not to give it to her and made them put a bracelet indicating this. You have to have someone with you in the hospital. Also, she went in for a cough, they wanted to keep her over night for observation making sure not pneumonia. She was dizzy and needed the bathroom. Told the aid who brought her in the bathroom and left her there. Needless to say, being dizzy she fell and broke her hip in three places!! Major negligence. Luckily after surgery she is doing better but a broken hip for an elder person is not a good thing. Thaks why you need someone with you and also any medications you may have a problem with. Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote