Thread: Swollen legs???
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Compression stockings

This post caught my eye as I contacted RSD back in 1995 but not diagnosed until 1998.

DocDogg is correct when saying edema can be caused by many things. Best to get any swelling checked out.

Compressions socks are very good unless one is in heart failure. I wear them most of the time but you must put them on first thing in the morning. The higher the compression the more difficult it is to put these stockings on and to take off in the evenings. Get spouse or someone to help if this is difficult.
There are many places on line one can research for compression socks. These are also sold in medical supply stores and some upscale drug stores.

The lightest compression is 8-15.....These are for light swelling and fatigue.
15-20 is probably the compression that is sold the most (per the pharmacy where I buy mine) As the compression goes higher so does the price. )-:

There are many brands. I can tell the difference between brands even with the same compression. Jobst has been around forever and what my doctor recommended. But, it is up to the individual taste. Higher compression can be had with an RX. Discuss all this with your doctor if you feel they may help. Compression stockings have really helped me.
Lisa