View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default genetics in relation to tolerance levels

You guys are the best! And, Vicky, don't worry ... I'm certainly not considering DBS. I'm just now considering Sinemet. My question regarding DBS is more generic. If it's the "cure all" ... why doesn't everyone do it? I remember reading Michael J. Fox's book (a l-o-n-g time ago) and I know that he had DBS but the tremor came back. Maybe I need to research the subject (in all of my spare time!). It's just pure and simple curiosity.

And, yes, Robert, I do see Dr. Jankovic. I think I got moved to the top of the list three years ago when I called, desperate for a dx because my local neuro wouldn't give me one. I wanted ANSWERS! I actually alternate between seeing Dr. Jankovic and Dr. Shaheed (woman, younger, a bit more personality!). I have no idea if Dr. Jankovic is taking new patients or if he would have taken me had the above not transpired.

Vicky, I definitely agree with you about genetic components being a huge part of the picture. But I also believe, separate from that, tolerance levels play a picture as well. I'm sure we all know people who have taken, say, muscle relaxers. One person can take 500 mg. and barely have it affect them, and another can take 100 mg. and is falling asleep at the wheel.

Thanks Robert and Vicky. I can't remember if I told you, but I actually had "business cards" that I made to hand out to people I either knew had a neurological condition or if I suspected that they had one. (I meet more older folks in the grocery store!) I explain that I'm not affiliated with the site at all, have no vested interest, but that it has a wealth of information, with the most caring individuals you'll ever find. It's time to make some new ones!

Have a great week everyone!

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote