View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Update on Alisons Progress

Hi all
Alison (my 12 year old daughter) asked me to drop you all a quick line and let you know how things are at the moment - all will become clear as to why she's not posting herself at the moment if you read down the message !!!!
Last time we posted it was because Alisons leg had swollen up really bad - sorry to report that theres no difference at the moment and its been two weeks so looks like it may be a long term problem
Went to see therapists last week and told them we were concerned about the loss of balance and problems walking since the block and being placed on the cocktail of meds - they advised to try and weight bear through the affected leg but if that wasn't possible to "hop" on the good leg - but thats keeps giving way under the strain after a few steps anyway so is not as easy as they make out in reality.
On the way home Alison suddenly said "Mum - my visions gone all blurry". We thought it would pass but 5 days later its still the same - there's no respite from it. Went to the Opticians yesterday for a routine check and he said her pupils were badly dilated and slow to react to light and it may be the amitriptylene she is taking hence I cut down the dosage to 20mg daily as the sight problems only surfaced when she began to take 30mg daily - No change at the moment but I know it will take a few days to get out of her system
I cannot speak to her Consultant about it at the moment either as he's on holiday until next week
As if this wasn't bad enough we had yet another major trauma yesterday - Alison slipped getting out of the bath and onto the bath seat and twisted and banged her right arm. I feel so guilty for not being there to help her but she has asked to do this herself as she feels she has very little privacy anywhere at the moment - and her upper body strength has not been too bad recently - Apparently the blurred vision made her misjudge wher the grab rails are !!!
She is now holding her arm really funny and can only grip lightly with her thumb and index finger - this is a real problem as she needs to grip and bear weight through her arms to get around on her crutches and also to steady herself when climbing the stairs on her bottom to get to the only bathroom in the house
I wanted to take her to A&E last night but she begged me to leave it till this morning to see if things improved as her last experience there was when she was starting with RSD and they told her she was faking it !!!
I have just checked on her this morning and things are no better so we'll be off the A&E just as soon as we are up and organised - hopefully it will just be a sprain though the practicalities of how we would cope if it isn't and the worry of the RSD spreading to her arm really bothers me
I will keep you all posted of how we go on today
Take Care - Alison and Andrea (Alisons Mum)
ali12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote