Thread: What to do.....
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Trophy Dear Charlie,

Like you, I also had DBS. I had no choice. Because of the genetic component of my illness, I would have died without it. Even though it was a life saver, there are drawbacks. I have had a frozen arm for almost 2 years. The doctor could not have an MRI and kept putting off a definite diagnosis because he couldn't rule out other reasons for my pain. After two years of suffering with it, he finally shot my shoulder with antiinflamatory drugs and it has helped tremendously. For those who are not aware, MRI is not to be done on people who have had DBS.

DBS surgery can prevent you from participating in many promising research programs. As Jean ofter says some of these research projects are needed to learn more about what Parkinson's is. As much as I would like to participate in some of the new scanning tecniques I am unable to.

I do not regret my DBS surgery. Since I had it I have been able to see two of my sons get married, my first grandchild, and was able to help my oldest son when he hit bottom and would have commit suicide if I hadn't been there for him to reach out to. He is now a successful truckdriver. But I would never tell anyone that DBS will be the answer to their family and the patients prayers. It is a great service you do well by educating the Parkinson's community about DBS, but you cannot prescribe the procedure for everyone with PD as it has to be an individual choice.

Love,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote