View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 04:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help wow hmm lots of reading

well since im new here, i just want to start off with saying I've done a lot of reading, as I've been to numerous other sites, including braintalk. I feel like im doing homework when reading all this stuff, but oh well, it helps in the end. Thanks for the magnesium suggestions, they are very helpful. Now I don't know if anyone has heard of this before, but I heard that calcium was possibly a useless drug, when used as a supplement. You know people take it for osteoporosis or bone less. But I heard that it was useless. As for vitamin D, I think that is very helpful. Now I read almost every single one of the posts on magnesium here, and.....

....as for the magnesium hydroxide and interacting with other medications like gabapentin, aspirin, and quinidine. I checked the drug interactions via drugs.com and they were listed as moderate interactions with aspirin and quinidine and a minor interaction with gabapentin in that it decreases the bioavailability of it. I looked that up especially since I take gabapentin for myoclonic jerks and insomnia. But I mean come on, I guess drugs.com is more of a pro-med site rather than a alternative herbal, natural hypochondriac(joking) type site, so I guess they wouldn't be that strict with interactions. I'm not saying that I'm pro-med or chastizing alternative herbal methods. I think there lies a good benefit one can get from combining treatments, meds, and vitamins. But I'm semi-biased as I had a real tough time with melatonin in that it worsened my depression/mental illness, nightmares, decreased blood flow, irritability, fatigue. Regardless have any of you heard of a more cautious drug interaction site, maybe one that integrates vitamins and herbs?

Taurine I guess helps muscle fatigue I read somewhere. I sometimes drink those energy drinks (which as u know got the taurine in them) because they have less caffeine per 8 oz than coffee does, energy drinks usually have around 80 mg. Which is good but im looking for something that has more than coke/pepsi(which hav around 40 mg) but less than say a redbull(again 80), i guess companies arent too precise oh well. I read that coffee has 135-145 mg caffeine and sometimes in nominations up to 170. no wonder why when I hav an iced coffee i feel like im gonna hav a seizure or something. geesh. on to my next subject potassium and magnesium.

I heard that potassium is good for myoclonus, so I bought a GNC magnesium and potassium aspartate that I take. is this a good magnesium supplement to take? I mean I may try slowmag, or that ionic fizz stuff if it isnt. also bananas are supposed to be good natural source for potassium, tryptophan, and melatonin which I read somewhere.

i take omega 3 fish oil also, but the GNC version has low EPA and DHA so no wonder it hasnt helped my depression that much.

with love and good health
bruegger84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote