View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi, starting GF/CF for 4 yo son with neurological issues (TS)

Hi, I haven't posted in this folder before. I have a 4yo son (Anthony) that has neurological tics- both motor and vocal- that are about to be dx as Tourette Syndrome. He goes back to neurologist on Sept 10th, it will be a year of tics in Sept, that's the dx criteria for TS. He has other issues as well, that the neurologist says are neurological too (such as sensory integregration dysfunction, hypotonia, apraxia/ oral motor/fine motor/visual motor issues etc.)

I've read in a few different places that gluten-free diets have helped other kids with tics from TS. Someone recommended the book to me, "Tics and Tourette's: Breakthrough Discoveries in Natural Treatments" by Sheila J. Rogers. I'm ordering that book, and in the meantime, am already switching his diet to GF/CF in case it helps him. I wonder though, is it most commonly gluten only, or both? I wouldn't want to cut out the dairy too if I didn't have to, know what I mean?

I've been researching ingredients online- there are a lot of sites out there, and also calling the 800 #s on the backs of bottles of products to ask if they are GF. Some of it is very confusing. I've shopped at the GF section at a couple supermarkets and health food store, gathering up a good amount of things. Thankfully, I live very close to 2 really good health food stores that carry a good amount of items. Unfortunately though, they are both closed for vacation this week (strange coincidence!) so I had to go to a different one that isn't as good, in search of bread because the grocery stores didn't carry it. I've found some items I want to order online as well.

I gave him chocolate soy milk and he didn't like it, so I gave him Rice Dream vanilla with some chocolate syrup in it and he loved it! That was a big victory because he is a BIG milk drinker. Getting him to drink Rice Dream, with or without choc, is huge!

He LOVES oatmeal so I'm wondering if this oatmeal would be ok for him? It says that people with Celiac can eat it so I assume so? It wouldn't be the same as his Quaker instant oatmeal that he loves, but I could probably add in some maple syrup or something. Another favorite of his is meatloaf, and I was able to substitute rice milk and rice bread for milk and bread tonight to make my usual recipe. Everyone loved it!

I'm hoping he will get better, while realizing that he may not. It's a long shot I suppose.

Anyone happen to be here for neurological things like TS? Or does pretty much everyone here have Celiac? Hope it's ok that I posted.

Dawn
Hannah (8),
Anthony (7), and
Jayson (5)

ives6797 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote