View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ventriculopleural shunt and Chest pain

Hey! My name is Melissa and I'm 21 yrs old. I've had a shunt since I was a baby, but it was changed from a ventriculoperitoneal shunt to a ventriculopleural shunt in January, due to scar tissue constantly causing pseudo cysts to form. I was cleared by my doctor in march, but lately I've been having stabbing pains in the right side of my chest(the side with the shunt)right below my breast. I haven't been short of breath or anything like my doctor warned I would if a malfunction would occur, but at times it hurts so bad I can barely move. It isn't constant. It will happen for around 10-20 minutes and then won't happen again for around a week or so. The reason it has me concerned is because I'm a college student, and I've had to withdraw the last 2 semesters due to surgery and shunt issues and I start my classes on August 20th. I really don't want to go back to see my neurosurgeon over this because I've been in to see him so much over the last year and a half(7 surgeries) that I really don't want him thinking that I just like being in the hospital cause that is sooooooooooooooo not the case. Have any of you guys heard of chest pain around the ribs being associated with it? Or anyone with this type of shunt had it? Please help!!!
Melissa21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote