View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello! I'm new too! Hard to decide which forum to post on because I have so many ailments.

I've had chronic myofascial pain since I was 13 years old (30 years ago). I developed mysterious headaches that I know now were tension-related stemming from trigger points in the scalene muscles. The knots probably were caused by me having my nose in a book all the time.

The fibromyalgia started 10 years ago after a reaction to a medication. Now in addition to various trigger points, I have all 18 tender points! Plus all the non-pain fun stuff that accompanies fibro.

I did a year of very specific trigger point therapy which included gentle chiropractic, moist heat, ultrasound, deep tissue massage and therapeutic stretching. It was quite effective. Now I just do "maintenance" in the form of massage therapy at regular intervals.

I also do self-massage with tennis balls and/or a Thera-Cane as needed. I learned how via the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. If I don't keep the knots at bay, my range of motion becomes restricted.

Chronic myofascial pain can't be cured, but it can definitely be kept down to a dull roar.

fanfaire
fanfaire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote