View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ultrasound

Melissa, I think it makes good sense to postpone surgery until you are very sure---unless postponing puts you in danger or if you have a type of TOS that could lead danger of clotting. I too had the study at UnivMN and am awaiting results. (I don't know how to reference another thread and I don't know what "bump" is or how to do it) but see the thread "New Jordan, Ahn, and Gelabert paper" that Johannakat started.

I put a link there for a paper I found that explains the study. The tech didn't follow the protocol exactly and I wonder about that. He had me HOLD UP my arms (very difficult) instead of holding them up for me. The paper says that the resulting muscle tension gets in the way of the study if you have to hold them up yourself. Also, it says that only 5% or so have non-neurogenic TOS. If that's the case why do they go to such extremes to find out? Did you happen to get a follow up test? I think they mentioned a veinogram if a study shows vascular TOS.

In your surgery investigation it would be good to talk by phone with at least a few patients that have had surgery with your particular surgeon. They will tell you things you would never think to ask. I had those conversations and learned many details (but not w. Dr Molina's patients). So far I too have put off surgery. I think it's a good idea to get settled in your new space and make sure that you have all the support you need and everything lined-up before moving forward. One patient told me that she filled her frig with frozen dinners only to find that she couldn't hold the tray with one hand and cut the film with the other. I hope that you will continue to get better and be able to avoid surgery.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote