View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 04:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book

Hi Rose,

My neurologist said he was surprised I could feel changes in less than three days. I do feel changes for things like bloody nose, numbness, tingling, blurry vision.

It is precisely because everyone is different that people must keep notes on how things work for them.

In terms of it being a minority who feel the changes in an easily recorded period of time, I disagree.

The vast majority of research into B12 shows that it works quite rapidly.

For instance, in the old days before there were B12 tests, doctors would see someone whom they thought might have a B12 deficiency. The doctor would commonly prescribe a course of B12 therapy, and if it worked, then the diagnosis was made that indeed there was a B12 deficiency.

Today, there are tests, and many people are denied B12 because their test results are too high in terms of what the United States uses as a Normal for low... but these people continue to feel the need for additional B12 because of the improvement the B12 makes in their health. That is, they feel improvement with B12, and want more improvement.

It is dangerous for people, it seems to me, to not realize that if they are feeling symptoms of low B12, they should get some and try it for a month, maybe two, and note any differences it makes.

If more people did that, then more people would benefit.

This way, when people go to their doctors for the final say on whether or not they need B12 replacement therapy, there is a substantial chance that they will be told they do not need it, that their B12 level is just fine.

I find that when a doctor tells me something, and I don't have any basis to disagree, that I believe... but when I have a basis to know about myself, then I can sometimes see that the doctor isn't helping me the way that I need to be helped.

I was denied B12 shots over and over again, and sometimes given dangerous drugs instead. That is so upsetting to me.

Now, I have my Time Line and I can see for myself how my body reacted to the B12.

For instance, you were sure that the reason my fingers were no longer blue under my nails was that I had stopped having my period, but when I looked at my Time Line I could see that your view was incorrect.

If I hadn't kept a Time Line I might have believed you were right... and that would have discouraged me from believing that B12 replacement has appeared to reduce my symptoms of iron deficiency anemia...

It's just so important for people to keep notes.

It's like a self breast exam... it's something we owe to ourselves...

(I don't know what is comparable for men, but keeping a Time Line is vitally important for men, too.)

Rose wrote -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
Karen,

All that may be true for you. Assuming that you do react very quickly to changes in B12 doses, you are in a tiny minority. It is very important that people not believe that "B12 is effective in a way that can be felt pretty quickly." A very small minority find that.

And although there may be something else going on, one size does not fit all in the change of symptoms department either. As a matter of fact, a small minority do not see evidence of the great changes going on in their bodies for many months.

When people assume that there will be short-term differences if they are benefitting from B12, they are in danger of stopping even though they need it. This is very dangerous if the person needs it.

People can take B12 long enough to get their stores up good and strong and then stop. If their body has been working on that stored B12, they may see a positive change after they stop. If they do not realize that most people store B12 for a long time and use it very slowly, they will decide they do not need the B12, even though the B12 is the reason for their improvement.

Those people are then likely to stop taking B12 altogether and eventually (within months or years) begin to incur damage again.

One size does not fit all. Most people do not see those immediate and linear changes that correlate with B12 taken in the short term.

rose