View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs down My Doctor, TSH Levels, and Frustration

After being treated (and saved) by Dr. Stephen Langer in Berkeley, I had to get a different doctor after moving to Vancouver Island five years ago. He has been pretty good - working with me, agreeing to keep me on desiccated thyroid (which is the only kind that helps with my Hashimoto's), and asking for Free T3 and T4 tests instead of just TSH. He even agreed to have my progesterone level checked which turned out to be very low and I am on Prometrium (by my request) for that.

Now, he said he has "heard" that low TSH levels mean I am going into hyperthyroidism, regardless of my Free T3 and T4 levels, because I am "on dessicated thyroid." This is driving me insane.

My last test results:

Free T4 = 11.9 (10.5 - 20.0 is normal)
Free T3 = 5.5 ( 3.5 - 6.5 is normal)
TSH = 0.01 (0.38 to 5.5 is normal - supposedly)

He told me to lower my thyroid to 90 MG from my usual 120 MG. I did this for three weeks until many of my hypothyroid symptoms began returning. I was so cold that I thought I was sick with chills. I took my temperature for several days. It ranged betweeen 96.3 F to 97.2 F! I was freezing, I was tired, and I was getting depressed.

There is NO WAY I am hyperthyroid. I still have symptoms of hypothyroidism. I called his office and told them I was going back on 120 MG, which I did. He wanted another TSH test, which I did. Now he wants me to come in and see him again. I KNOW this will be another battle. I am NOT going to lower my dosage again. My T4 levels are even on the low end of normal.

TSH is NOT thyroid levels. What if my hypothalamus or my pituitary gland aren't in top shape? Those are the glands that have to do with TSH levels. I've done this battle for so many years, I swear seeing doctors is the most stressful thing in my life.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for listening.
SwampWitch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote