View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,

I had surgery with Dr Annest, so can't speak to specific Dr and hospital issues, but can give some general advice re: surgery and Denver.

Might check with Dr Sanders office and see if it is ok to UPS a box to their address. I packed up my own pillows, (including my cervical pillow), slippers and post-op (easy-on and off) clothes so I had just a small bag and carry-on for dh to handle in addition to his own. We shipped it back before leaving for the airport, much cheaper via UPS than paying to fly it freight on same flight with us. I was there for several days of testing prior to surgery, in hospital 4 days and 15-16 days post-discharge for PT, (inc. weekend days and post-op follow-up appt), so I needed to bring more than you may need, however.

Do pack warm socks and slippers for the hospital, as the floors are cold and not always that clean. Shave your legs the night before surgery - it may be a while before you feel like doing this again. I bring raisins, crackers, etc. in case I get hungry between meals, and a colored washcloth/handtowel for washing (hospital laundries often use harsh detergents and bleach which is hard on the face and leaves linens scratchy which is painful to my RSD-sensitive skin). And I don't go ANYWHERE without a book or two.

Learned from painful experience - send your Mom or dh to the nurse's station when it is time for your meds - otherwise you might be left waiting a LONG time. Just after surgery it's important to keep taking the meds on schedule so they don't wear off and leave you trying to play catch up to the pain. On a med/surg ward they know this, so don't feel bad about asking for your meds if they aren't brought to you when they should be!

If you'll need a car while you're there, you can usually get a pretty good deal through Budget or Dollar at the Denver Airport. It's usually cheaper than the in-town deals and saves you the shuttle fees into the city and back out. We've done it both ways and find it cheaper and more convenient to just rent at the airport.

Dr Sanders and Rose Hospital are on the UC campus, aren't they, around
9th St off Colorado? After surgery we stayed on South Colorado past Cherry Creek Mall, I think the cross street is Mexico, at a Fairfield Inn. It was fine, the free breakfast was much nicerl than most, staff was very helpful, and they offer a hospital rate if you ask for it. There are several restaurants nearby and a grocery store, and you can request a refrigerator for your room if you feel like staying in. The interstate by-pass is just south of the hotel if you want to head up to the mountains or back to the airport.

Ohh, the pillows? I put 1 length-wise under my back, 1 under each arm, and one regular under my head with my cervical one on top of that. A couple of those belonged to the hotel! Anyway, propped up like this, I could sleep post-op without a recliner - but that was the only way I could!! You might need to experiment to find what works for you. Ice
(as long as you haven't been told you have RSD) may turn out to be your best buddy for the first few days following hospital discharge. And rest - surgery is a trauma to your body - you may need more rest to let your body heal. It's surprising how tough this surgery can be on a person - the "surgical" recovery I think was comparable to my c-section. No complications though, it went fine - I just expected to bounce back quicker.

Denver has some beautiful parks and great outdoor spaces, maybe you can relax and picnic in a scenic spot! PS. Take a camera - for hospital pics and mountain vistas. But easy does it!

Hope something helps; use what you can, ignore the rest!! Best wishes for a VERY successful surgery and a smooth and easy recovery,
beth

Last edited by beth; 08-10-2007 at 05:16 AM.
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote