View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm glad Cara responded. Tom was DF, and we figured out rice triggered seizures before we went GF. I found very little commercially prepared bread meeting those requirements at our local stores. The one I did find was kind of styrofoamy. So.... I found a recipe that Tom would eat, and made lots of it. At this point in time, we're pretty much eating whole foods and not having bread at all. I have a couple of pizza crust mixes on hand for when the kids are invited to a birthday party or have a school party so they can participate. I also have a potato bread bread mix from Miss Robens (http://www.missroben.com/) that I've made once or twice.

If you're interested, I bought "Special Diets for Special Kids" I and II by Lisa Lewis. I'm not sure if I'd recommend you buy them. But, our library has them. She has a lot of kid friendly recipes (and that's where I found our little sandwich bread recipe that I used to make), chicken nuggets, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. The problem is that the first book has no index, and the second has a very poor index. If you don't know where the recipe is, you're going to search for it. Very annoying. But, all the recipes are GF/CF. She does have one or two ghee recipes, and I use olive oil instead. We're avoiding *all* dairy, not just casein. She also has suggestions if you're avoiding eggs or other common allergens. (My signature isn't up to date here. We're also avoiding eggs, tomatoes, nuts, peas, soy, pepper and probably one or two other things.) Anyway, I would definitely check out your library's collection. Just remember to put a yellow sticky or note the page number on any appealing recipes, if you find these books. Oh, and you can go to Amazon.com and view the table of contents.

And on the picky eater note... GF definitely improved Tom's eating. He used to gag and/or throw up his meal over any food he didn't like. He's never been "failure to thrive," but he's always been close to it. Anyway, since going GF, all the gagging is gone and he will eat foods he doesn't like in exchange for a bite of those he does. He's eating green beans, spinach, artichokes, broccolli, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, chard... all in exchange for whatever meat we're having. Life is so much better.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote