View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Does anybody understand DSL speeds?

Hello again to you all.

Two days ago, I bundled my Verizon Online, and phone stuff, with Directv. To do this, I had to upgrade from the 760 of the dsl to the 3.0. The guy said "it makes much more sense to do this, you'll save money, which I will (when it's all bundled you get $6.00 off of Direct tv and $8 and change off the phone), so all together it's a good deal.

Now I didn't know what the big difference was from what I had and the 3.0. So I went on some DSL forums and asked questions and this is what I found out.

If you have 3.0, that means your download speed is supposed to be 3072 kbps (I forget what the upload speed is supposed to be but I don't upload anything except photos to photobucket.com, so I don't really care).

So I did a speed test the day after I upgraded and my speed was 743 download and 131 upload. So I hadn't been upgraded as of yet.

Well, yesterday, I did the test and shazamm. The download was 2873 and the upload was 680. I went to itunes and downloaded a song and it did it so fast I couldn't even blink. I then went to photobucket.com and uploaded a photo and Bam. quicker than a wink!!! So no problem there.

So here's my question.
If the guy on the dsl boards said that I should be getting speeds of 3072 download if I am paying for 3.0, and I am getting 2873, (it varies, sometimes it's 2800), then I am not getting what I am paying for, right? That is what he said.

So I just went online and did an online chat with the Verizon Online tech person and I just wanted to verify and ask why I'm not getting 3072 download speed if I 'm paying for 3.0??? and he typed "it depends on how far you are from the central office, and the speeds vary all the time".

So here I am, coming to you guys to verify all this.

Should I be getting the 3072 if I'm getting the 3.0 price?? I am quite satisified with whatever is happening now by the way.

Oh, and here's a good question. I understand the download and the upload stuff. But would my having 3.0 change the speed of my web surfing. I really don't see web pages loading up any faster. I expected BAM BAM, and there I would be. Maybe it's a bit faster, but nothing really dramatic.

Can you clear these things up a bit? Thanks much.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote