View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Default Rice Dream NOT GF according to product website

Thanks to Violets for pointing me to this! Just another example of what we deal with!

http://www.tastethedream.com/health/glutenfree.php
Quote:
Rice Dream Non-Dairy Beverages
Rice Dream Beverage is not gluten free. It is made primarily from rice; it contains no whole wheat or barley ingredients, however our patented enzyme process utilizes barley enzymes to convert the complex carbohydrates in brown rice to naturally occurring sugars. It is this process that gives Rice Dream Beverages their sweet flavor without the need for added sweeteners.
The actual grains used to grow the enzymes are discarded after the enzymes are extracted. The barley protein found in the final Rice Dream Beverage product occurs in parts per million amounts (less than 5 mg barley per 8 oz serving).
The webpage has a 2007 copyright... so now I am confused! So, while barley won't show as an ingredient, the company discloses they do use it in processing, which is enough to keep most celiacs away. Now, I don't understand why they would say gluten free on the carton... and then have this on their website... unless, maybe, they have changed the processing and haven't updated the website. In cases like this, I will just avoid it, when I have other products I know I can trust.

This is the complex part of a gf/cf diet.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote