View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I believe there are those more knowledgeable than I am here, but here's a start. The biggies for food allergies are gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, and corn. When in doubt, cut all those out. I don't know what order to cut them out it if you didn't want to do it all at once. Citrus and garlic can sometimes be problems. Some people have problems with some vegetables. The key is to rotate foods if you suspect that. I believe meat and rice rarely are problems, but there sometimes can be contamination issues from the other allergens with both if you are really sensitive.

The Gluten File has lots of information on Diagnostic Tests and Food Allergies.

I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to decide which test to do and which lab to use. It's great if your doctor will order the tests you want, but I think it's also helpful to have a doctor who knows what to do already - I know, easier said than done, but you gotta start somewhere.

I think you can also drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what to eat. I know I have, and it takes time to learn what foods have gluten, dairy, soy, and corn, the 4 biggies, which are in every American processed food, medication, and body care product, it seems. Everyone is different, so you have to do your own detective work as to what works for your son and what doesn't.

The bigger question is what is causing the food intolerances, so you'll want to try to get to the bottom of that. Possible problems are:

1) Genetics, in the case of gluten sensitivity/celiac disease and lactose intolerance.
2) Use of NSAIDs.
3) Use of antibiotics. Probiotics can help reestablish intestinal flora.
4) Intestinal pathogens, including parasites, bacteria, or Candida (you can test for those).
5) Heavy metal toxicity.

What else? GMOs? Viruses? Vaccinations? I don't know that it's really all been quantified. I guess I would first find out which foods I am reacting to, and cut those out. Then, try to figure out what is causing all the food intolerances so the cause of the intestinal damage can be dealt with.

You could check out this thread on stories of how other people were able to heal their gut:

http://forums.braintalk2.org/showthread.php?t=678

Also, check out the links to the "Our Journey's to Gluten Free" from the old Braintalk. You might get some ideas from that as well, or at least encouragement.

Claire

Last edited by diamondheart; 09-26-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
diamondheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote