View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Kristie, Since he is not from MI and his primary care doctor is not available, I would suggest you take him to an ER for evaluation. You are right about this anti-viral treatment. Shingles is nothing to leave on its own! Be sure he has all his meds with him when you take him.

Is there any treatment?

The severity and duration of an attack of shingles can be significantly reduced by immediate treatment with antiviral drugs, which include acyclovir, valcyclovir, or famcyclovir.

Antiviral drugs may also help stave off the painful after-effects of shingles known as postherpetic neuralgia.

Other treatments for postherpetic neuralgia include steroids, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and topical agents.

What is the prognosis?

For most people, the lesions heal, the pain subsides within 3 to 5 weeks, and the blisters leave no scars.

However, shingles is a serious threat in immunosuppressed individuals — for example, those with HIV infection or who are receiving cancer treatments that can weaken their immune systems. People who receive organ transplants are also vulnerable to shingles because they are given drugs that suppress the immune system.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote