View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default because....

(Newcomer...)
As to why people try to rely on a magic pill that will make our kids "normal"...
Typically it's because we're so desperate, that we'll try anything! Obviously, we should NEVER go above and beyond what the doctors order, but sometimes that in itself can be too much!
Example, my daughter has definitely been testing the limits today. She's been in complete mania all day, with no crashes, so to speak. Whereas we would normally 'only' give her perphenazine once/day in the morning, we had to give her an extra two tonight, just to calm her down enough to get her in the bed. Here it is, 2 a.m., and she's still awake, and now she's asking for food.
PLEASE don't think I'm trying to say that over-medicating is a good thing. Our prescription states 1-2 up to three times / day. We just hate giving her a single bit more than necessary. My response is solely on why we TRY to rely on meds to make our child more normal. I can understand that feeling, because our daughter is so out of control. If I could somehow take her place and give her a more regulated life, I would do so in a moment. As much as we've TRIED to do, it hasn't been enough, and she suffers, at only 9 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bear View Post
oh dear lord. This is horrible. My son is on 0.1 mgs of clonodine for his blood pressure and sleep. He went from 157/99 to 118/69. It helps his sleep (not much better, but it helps.)

He can barely walk at night after he takes it with his Klonopin. *which is also part of the reason he takes both, he sleep walks.* I can't imagine a parent over dosing a kid on purpose!

And my pdoc wouldn't dx Wes until he ended up having a psycotic episode at 12 and even then they were cautious. Extreme monitoring and sometimes weekly visits and weekly blood draws.

I guess you just have to have a great psyc team. I feel so fortunate!!

I think this is criminal. UGGGH

Every child, no matter what the illness, can learn coping skills. It just takes alot of very hard work and lots of therapy. Why does everyone think there is a magic pill that will make our kids "normal"? Evil.

Wes was very rambunkious. Very curious. Tantrummy and screamy. And in retrospect, he was halucinating. I would never think to have put him on the meds he's on now when he was 4. Never. Unless a child is a harm to themselves or others, just like any of us grownups, they shouldn't be medicated to that extent.

Oh UGGH.