View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dear Jennifr,

I'm not a mom but I have been in the bipolar world since I was in my mid-twenties. I am grateful that I did not have to deal with this as a child. Having bipolar is very confusing for an adult and in my imagination must be a terrifing thing for a child to go through. She is lucky that she has you as mom to care for her.

First thing: if you have not already done so, run out and beg, borrow, steal, or order a copy of The Bipolar Child by Demitri F. Papolos, M.D. and Janice Papolos. The book might help you to understand your daughter.
Here is the authors' web site: http://www.bipolarchild.com/articles.html

Also, go to www.bpkids.org for the Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation.

IF she has bipolar, punishment doesn't help. She needs to get properly medicated, good sleep, and a good family plan to help her stay steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifr1966 View Post
I'm painting her as some terrible child, and really, she isn't. If you met her, most likely the word "sweet" would definitely come up. I'm not blaming her; I'm blaming me. Somewhere along the lines, I messed up, and now I don't know how to regain control.
I don't think that you messed up. Bipolar is an illness. This is not your fault.

Quote:
HOW do I know when it's bipolar, or when it's being a brat? Can bipolar disguise itself as brat-like behavior?
This is probably out-side my ability to answer as I am not a parent, but I suspect that childrent with bp, like adults with bp, need a lot more consideration and patience that the average person. . . especially if the medication is not working.

Quote:
The doctor stated that, while they might not be able to control their emotions, bipolars do have the ability to choose right from wrong. So why does mine insist on wrong?
I'm going to take a stab at this one also while we wait for someone more knowledgeable about children to show up here:
The doctor answered this already. She knows, according to him, but she cannot control herself. She's not choosing the behavior and and she is not insisting on it. She cannot help herself.

How often do you see the pyschaitrist? How often do you telephone him between visits? Does he know that about her behavior and has he made recent adjustments in the meds?
What does your daughter tell you is going on? How does she describe what is happening?

I hope that things improve for you and for her.
Mari