View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 05:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Paula...

I've had a very high uric acid pretty near all my life (first test was 14mg/dL, at aound 20 years of age). I have had attacks of the "gout" so often that attacks were at least once a week, and predictable after eating a dinner containing meat. After having a bad interaction with allopurinol, I started taking it again and to my amazement, i can tolerate it now and it now makes me able to eat a steak with impunity, knowing that i will not be awakened with gout pain in the middle of the night. What a relief.
So, this is the exact opposite suggestion of this study. It makes me question the results. Now i know that i'm only one person, but it gets me thinking, what do we need research of this kind for? We need research DIRECTLY related to finding a cure for PD, not to seek what i consider "moot" results of such a study as this. Would'nt you agree? This study does nothing to help the direct cure of PD. What we need to hear are things that directly pertain to, say, stem cell transplants in parkinsonized primates, or growth hormone effects in new studies, new types of brain penetrable growth hormone mimetics that actually WORK to increase dopamine levels in humans. I've never heard of cadaver transplant of nigral tissue in humans, has this ever been tried? It is the kind of studies of the paper that you have brought to our attention that i call "junk science" that does nothing to shorten the time between when you and I can have a REAL attenuation in our suffering from PD. Remember, I'm not in any way saying that you should not have brought this to our attention, I'm just giving my humble opinion about such studies, K?
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote