Thread: how long
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My first memory was that of my hands going numb, to which my doctor diagnosed carpal tunnel, put me on an anti-inflamatory, along with hand splints 24 hours a day for 3 weeks--that was 9 yrs ago. A yrs or so later, I complained to the same doc that now my toes are all going numb at once too and he said, "It's the same nerve connected to your hands, there is nothing we can do, take anti-inflamatory meds!" Seven yrs ago I found I had celiac disease and went gluten free, since then I have had different numb areas, buzzing areas, painful joints, etc and am seeing a neurologist now. He did the brain MRI, cervical MRI, EMG--my brain came back normal (imagine that)I do have a herniated disc at level C5-6 in my neck, PN in both hands, pinched nerves in both wrists, to which he says, "The only thing I can do is to give you an RX for hand splints!" Then he added that I probably have small fiber neuropathy in my legs and feet, but there is no test for that as of yet.

I think much of it is just a guessing game.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote