View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

The B12 research is interesting. If you read it you will see that in each study there are people who have more or less response to B12. In many studies the amount of response is correlated with the length of time the person has been deficient. I have a lot of research excerpts on my site. They are very interesting.

I had a positive response immediately from the B12 injections, but I was given few and had to beg for more once my B12 level went up a little bit.

B12 tests are mostly done on the B12 in blood... so replacement therapy affects that quite a lot.

The methylmalonic acid tests are apparently quite different in results if they are done on spinal fluid... which indicates a much "deeper" kind of depletion...

For me, when I took a lot of cyanocobalamin in tablet form, it made NO difference to my test results. I was having regular B12 tests at the time, so I was able to see that.

It is really REALLY important to take notes when you take B12 so that you can go back and see what it did for you... else you may be "thinking" it did or didn't do something, and your memory may not be entirely accurate. I'm saying that because my memory was affected by my low levels of B12, so I'm really glad my neurologist said to keep a Time Line.

Rose wrote-
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
Everyone cannot get methylcobalamin.

As I have said before, Karen's experience is unusual. And if anyone has a choice between cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin, I think they would be foolish not to choose methylcobalamin.

However, most people can use cyanocobalamin. And, if Karen had a response to the cyanocobalamin, as she posted, it was getting through and doing her good. The test results are not reliable, and they can fail to move up for quite a while, until stores begin to be filled. She may have been far more deficient than the initial test result showed.

There is no way to know whether those of us who switched to methylcobalamin have had better repairs because of that than if we had continued with cyanocobalamin.

Scientific evidence useful to most people is not derived from the very few exceptions.

As I said before, methylcobalamin covers some less likely possibilities. Cyanocobalamin can do the job for most, if they get enough often enough. Better would be hydoxocobalamin, and best methylcobalamin.

rose