View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Because test results for vitamin B12 are judged in this country against a very low low for normal, I distrust the ranges which are applied to people.

For instance, as is reported in an article on my site, in Japan and some other countries the low for B12 is 550 because at that level they have been able to identify changes in cognition... not for the better.

So when the low here in the U.S. is 180 or 200, well, obviously that's a lot lower, so what kinds of things is the person experiencing, besides impaired cognition, for some 350 points before anything was said to be wrong...

I find it upsetting that the low in this country is so low.

I tried to get my doctors to give out the article on my site, but mostly they wanted to prescribe antidepressants as their preference.

I know for a fact, from having had consistent regular tests and keeping notes that when my B12 level falls below 900, I experience depression.

So a level of 1000 for me would be only minimally above the depression level.

Unless you keep notes, you will not know what is true for you.

One person may need very little B12 to improve and rebuild stores, but another person may need a lot more because perhaps their stores were depleted to a lower level, or maybe they deal with a lot of ongoing stress... there are all sorts of factors.

The only thing that is true for everyone, is that if they have symptoms of low B12 and they get B12 in a form their body can use, they will improve.

FACT.

Rose wrote-
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
B12 that is in the blood has been absorbed, but there is no guarantee that it will be stored or used.

In almost all cases though, as the B12 result increases with treatment, and eventually gets very strong (around 1000 or more) it becomes very clear that stores are being filled, or have been filled. It is very unusual for someone to fail to build stores and use B12 well when taking 1000 - 2000 mcg cyanocobalamin per day, and it is even more unusual when taking methylcobalamin. Very rare.

Methylcobalamin has been proven safe in extremely large quantities, even regular doses in people who cannot remove it normally because of kidney disease.

rose