View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book

The fact is that if someone has symptoms of low B12 and takes a form that their body can use, then the symptoms will either go away or decrease.

If someone has bad symptoms and takes a very small amount, then the amount of improvement may be hard to distinguish.

I had bad PN for years. I never expected it to go away.

When my holistic M.D. gave me a prescription for a shot a day for a year, I thought she must have made a mistake and I didn't use it until after I had tetanus and the pain was screaming bad. Literally.

Then, after a couple of months of a shot a day (sometimes two), it was clear that my PN was a lot better.

The B12 did not cure my tetanus. Tetanus is a Central Nervous System disease caused by the the bacteria clostridia. Antibiotic in fairly heavy doses is required to kill the bacteria. After that, there may be, as in my case, risidual nerve damage.

B12 helps with the nerve damage, but after two years all of the nerve damage is not healed.

Here's the thing, though. If I had not had all that B12, would I be very much more sick than I am? I think that without a doubt I would be.

I am especially convinced I would be a lot more sick because recently when my lights were shut off (I have a page on that and on getting solar to avoid stress ) I found an old medical certificate my holistic M.D. had filled out for the power company and on it she said I have fibromyalgia...

Only when there's little stress (ha! I sure wish that was more often) I am so fine I know I do not have fibromyalgia.

It is vitally important for people to keep notes of how B12 works for them, and in what amounts. It is very important to keep track of what symptoms have been reduced, and to keep track of what kinds of things makes them rear their ugly heads again.

Rose wrote -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
That is not true. There are problems that may or may not improve. Some may go away altogether, but as the doctor you referred to said, the earlier the treatment the more likely things will improve substantially.

Repairs can continue for years in those serious cases, but there are no guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
If someone has symptoms of low B12, B12 deficiency, and they take B12, (preferably the Methylcobalamin if they aren't getting shots), then they are going to find the symptoms going away or reducing in severity.

That is something they can count on.

That is likely, but it not something a person can count on, especially in early days weeks or months. It is very likely that they will improve, but each case is different. There are some similar patterns in many of the cases, but individual makeups, types and extents of damage are different. And for some strange reason, a very few people do not even see the change until many months later.

Improvement is likely if people need B12. It is possible if they need methylcobalamin specifically. But there no guarantees. And if damage is severe, the process of improvement is likely to be long and bumpy.

rose