View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi Amber,

I had similar symptoms associated with a B12 deficiency. The ENT originally suspected Meniere's or BPPV. I also have autoimmune thyroid disease. Pernicious anemia is yet another autoimmune disease where one lacks the intrinsic factor to process B12, leading to B12 deficiency. Other things can cause B12 deficiency, too, like continued use of antacids, gluten sensitivity/celiac disease, or other malabsorptive disease.

I had crackling, buzzing, ringing, and painful pressure in my ears, muffled hearing, and vertigo attacks. For me, the symptoms all resolved when I corrected the B12 deficiency.

So...given you have thyroid disease which puts you more at risk for both pernicious anemia and celiac disease... you might want to ask to be tested for these conditions if you haven't already been. Especially check your B12 level if you haven't ... it is such a simple thing to correct, and the symptoms are usually reversible. Lab lows are set around 100-150, but you want a B12 level in the upper range. People with levels as high as 350-400 commonly have neurological problems. You can check out the B12 deficiency page in The Gluten File, just scan the right bar until the very bottom. Gluten sensitivity itself can also cause neurological problems, but the specific antibodies associated with neurological disease are just beginning to be researched.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote